Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Silence Broken: PKN Presentation 03.24.2011


I recently had the opportunity to present Demystifying Depression for the first time on the large scale at Pecha Kucha Night in Pittsburgh to an audience of Designers and Architects via the event co-organized by AIGA Pgh + AIA Pgh. See also: http://pecha-kucha.org/night/pittsburgh/newsletters/2029

The response was outstanding!

I had so many attendees come up to me afterward to discuss their personal stories, express interest in submitting their stories, suggest new-to-me resources and offer help + suggestions to expand Demystifying Depression from blog into the community (there's upcoming gallery shows + theatre performances in the works to break the silence in Pgh + hopefully other cities), etc, etc.

It proved to me that there is a much greater need for the story to be told than I had ever dreamed. I've also come to discover many other organizations working toward the similar goal. Even though there are a few of us, the demand is so much greater than the current resources available.

I'm taking the steps to focus all my attention, resource + energy to get Demystifying Depression off the ground + thriving to further this very huge stigma. Very exciting to think that real change could happen in our lifetime!

As always, I have a vision, but I need lots of help to refine it + see it through to fruition to meet the needs of the community. If you're in... send me an email or post to the comments any ideas, suggestions or resources. I'd love to collaborate:)

No comments:

Post a Comment