Wednesday, January 11, 2012

LTD 2012: NYC 1/22-25

Assumption: If you're poor, you can't have ANY fun...
You especially can't go gallivanting around.


So, WTF is LTD2012?

A year ago I took a Living The Dream (LTD) tour of the east coast. I'm keeping the tradition alive with another pilgrimage to NYC, Sunday, 1/22 to Wednesday, 1/25. 


A Historical perspective
Last time, me + Mithilda (my lil' VW Golf) drove for a week to Cleveland, State College, NYC then DC before returning to Pgh. The first blog article of Demystify details that journey of self-discovery.

Lessons learned:
  • gas is super expensive + cost-prohibitive for good ol' fashioned road-tripping.
    There's a fun story I'll share another time about getting stranded in Dubois, PA (90 miles from home) at 1am w/no money + no gas... short story, I took a car-nap in the parking lot of Walmart for the night:)
  • driving long distances sucks
  • I fall asleep at the wheel after 4 hours of monotony 
  • parking/tolls/food takes a toll on a paycheck-to-paycheck budget
You can read about all my wanderlust exploits on my old blog w/tag OTV_LTD.


Livin'-n-Learnin'
This time I'm letting someone else chauffeur me around in style for a mere $35 round-trip; thanks to the miracle of Megabus.

I'm taking the 'red-eye' both treks leaving Pgh at 11pm/arriving 7am in NYC + vise verse. Meaning, I'll have 4 full days, Sunday - Wednesday, to stomp around the Big Apple.


Now Booking Appointments for Cuppa
While most of my stay will be spent visiting with the fine folks at Occupy Wall Street, I'd love to visit with you, if you're in the area + available for tea, 1/22-25. Send an email/post a comment to compare schedules. Hint: mine's pretty flexible/open as of today.

I also plan to do some artsy-fartsy things... but bohemian style. It's been years since I've been to The Met or the MOMA, but I'd love much more to check out the local/indie art scene. If you have a recommendation on an exhibit or a studio/gallery that I must see, speak up in the comments:)

Lastly, to make this a little more Demystify focused, I'll do some light research + visit some of the mental health advocacy organizations... building bridges to Pgh collaborations +  partnerships. Again, recommendations welcome.


What to expect in the coming weeks
Pictures... lots of pictures; live-tweets/ustreams + blog articles recapping events.

Basically, the usual antics. Can't wait to live the dream again... and to figure out how to do so full-time in the coming years.

EEEEeeeeee?!

9 comments:

  1. I feel your pain about the gas prices, food prices, toll, and parking fees. They're sometimes almost enough to get me depressed enough to attend some therapy stamford sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's so much stress in the world, it can be really overwhelming. Honestly, if it weren't for the TV, computer, fridge, and chiropractic clinic, I don't know how I would deal with all the bad vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back home my friends and I don't mind getting stuck and sleeping on our used cars in long island ny as long as we have a good conversation and some money to spend on breakfast. Having no money and no gas put quite a different twist to it and I don't think we will still have our good nature. And yeah, that is a great lesson to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. You're truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the

    subject intriguing for everyone. I'm saving this for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe that's the reason why there are companies that do offer forklift hire. It is because some business doesn't have the capability to buy their own forklift because of the rapid increase on oil price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just don't know if I will still continue my application for an auto loan. This is because of the non-stop increase on oil price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would also prefer a chauffeur since I feel kind of lazy to drive every now and then. It is most preferable for me because of my line of work. I travel a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Changes in oil price happens almost every week. This can definitely affect every business that uses oil products most especially big car manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If this takes place then, it'll be advisable for us to us electronic vehicles. I believe these type of vehicles will bring a lot of convenience compared to the usual fueled-operated cars.

    ReplyDelete